Monday, August 27, 2012

Bowling for Blurbs by Douglas Corleone

by Douglas Corleone, @douglascorleone

9780312552282One of the toughest parts of being a new novelist is requesting blurbs from established authors. You’re not only asking an author to take eight to ten hours out of their busy schedule to read your manuscript, you’re asking them to endorse you and your book – you’re asking them to put their good name on the line to help you and your career.

I was so put off by the idea of asking established authors for blurbs that I waited until my third novel to do it, and even then I asked someone I already considered a close friend. He read my book and provided a terrific quote, one that ends with: “Corleone is as good as it gets.” Although my third novel Last Lawyer Standing has only been out a few days, his kind and generous words have already generated sales and provided me several new loyal readers who raced out to purchase my first two novels and enjoyed them enough to write to me and tell me so.

Next spring I’ll be launching a new series of international thrillers, and this time around I wasn’t so shy. Thanks largely to the single blurb placed on the cover of Last Lawyer Standing, I had the courage to ask several A-List thriller writers to give my bound manuscript a read. Five of my favorite authors agreed to read my book, and I’m now anxiously awaiting their verdicts.

Bottom line is: blurbs from popular authors do work. Most blurbs are sincere, and after awhile, as a reader, you recognize those authors who are sincere and those who will put their name on any book that’s tossed in front of them. The authors I chose are all part of the former group, and for that reason I’ll truly be bowled over to have their names on the front and back of my dust jacket when my first “big book” is released next year.

431100_508521032507573_124352163_nDouglas Corleone is the author of three crime novels published by St. Martin's Minotaur. His debut novel One Man's Paradise was nominated for the 2010 Shamus Award for Best First Novel. A former New York City defense attorney, Doug now lives in the Hawaiian Islands, where he is currently at work on his next novel. You can visit him online at www.douglascorleone.com. Author Photo--Jennifer Crites