Monday, December 5, 2011

Setting Goals

by Elizabeth S. Craig, @elizabethscraig

aafieldtrip 061aIt’s getting close to the end of the year again…and I really don’t know where the year went.

One thing that I’m usually good at is setting goals and deadlines for myself. It’s really how I stay on track with the different projects I’ve got going on.

My problem tends to be long-term planning. My agent usually will kick me in the rear a little, trying to see what big picture ideas I have. But I’ve found when I’m really busy, I’m just trying to keep afloat ...not setting big goals.

The September issue of Writer’s Digest had an article by Elizabeth Sims entitled “10 Things for Every Writer’s Bucket List.” She included things like publishing a short story, taking a writing retreat, and freelancing.

I found the idea of a writing bucket list very appealing. It makes my head hurt to try to set definitive deadlines for specific long-term goals. But I sure as heck can make a list of things I’d like to do before I die.

I think the best way to make these kinds of goals is to not factor in any of the stuff we ordinarily would factor in. Don’t think about the logistics, the money, the time away from the kids. Just make a list.

What would be on my bucket list? Off the top of my head, I’m thinking that I’d like to try writing different genres and subgenres. I’d write a historical saga, a police procedural, and maybe dabble in lit fic. Oh, and maybe some noir.

I’d like to go on a literary-themed tour.

I’d like to try to narrate an audio book.

I’d like to go on a long writer’s retreat…the kind where I can be as antisocial as I need to be.

I’m going ahead and making my list. Because the way time is flying, I have a feeling the next ten years are going to pass by like a second.

What kinds of things would you like to do or try as a writer?